The award season of 2014 is over, ended last Sunday with the Oscars 2014.
The 86th Academy Awards were hosted for the second time by Ellen DeGeneres, who was consistent and non controversial in her hostess role, unlike Seth MacFarlane last year.
“I’m not saying movies are the most important thing in the world, because we all know the most important thing in the world is youth. But really, we know that the most important thing in life is love and friendship and family. And if people don’t have those things, they usually get into show business. We are all one big, frightened family.”
There was no really gir surprise in terms of winners:
- Best Actor – Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club);
- Best Actress – Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine);
- Best Supporting Actor – Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club);
- Best Supporting Actress – Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years A Slave);
- Best Director – Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity);
- Best Original Screenplay – Her (Spike Jonze);
- Best Adapted Screenplay – 12 Years A Slave (John Ridley);
Best Original Song – “Let it Go” (Frozen – Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson–Lopez);
- Best Picture – 12 Years A Slave (Steve McQueen)
So, here are my Top 5 moments of the night:
- Not really during the ceremony, but just before, Jennifer Lawrence did the impossible, and fell down again! Because is Jennifer, it was adorable and her boyfriend Nicholas Hoult was right there to catch her (this one doesn’t count!).
- Pharrell Williams sings Happy and get everybody dancing. The music is already catchy enough, but with Lupita, Amy Adams and Meryl dancing, it became legendary. And how cute were those little kids dancing in the front?
- Ellen orders pizza and everybody eats! Although I feel that let too much time elapse between references to the joke. Enough time to make it not that funny…
- Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o! Jared because from his speech, to his posture, to that hair: he was perfection! Lupita was just a delight to watch (and what a lovely dress!)
- Pink sings “Over The Rainbow” in tribute to The Wizard of Oz. Is was awesome and great, I just love her and that voice. And, OMG, I’m in love with her dress! (although I still don’t get why they had an homage for that anyway… given that the theme was Heroes…)
My Bottom 5 Moments of the night:
- John Travolta mispronouncing Idina Menzel’s name… I wouldn’t even say he mispronounced it, because what he said had nothing to do with her name: Adela Dazeem.
- The teleprompter. Everyone had a problem with that thing, bigger or smaller, but a lot of them crashed, and not in the funny way that Jim Carrey did it. Zac Efron, Harrison Ford, Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth all had trouble with it.
Kim Novak and Matthew McConaughey presented Best Animated Film and Shorts award… it was awful.
Bette Midler singing “Wind Beneath My Wings” after the Obits Montage. There was no need for that and she definitely wasn’t the best choice.
Will Smith presenting Best Picture Oscar?! Why?!
And some things I couldn’t not mention:
- Benedict Cumberbatch photo bomb’s U2;
Lupita Nyong’o’s speech drove Benedict Cumberbatch and Chiwetel Ejiofor to tears;
- Songwriter Robert Lopez won the Best Original Song Oscar for “Let It Go” from Disney’s “Frozen.” That “O” completes his EGOT – He’s got an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and a Tony! He and his wife also had one of the funniest acceptance speech ever, where it all rhymed.