Only 90 minutes to go! Episode 21 of the 9th season, Gary Blauman, kind of blew my mind!
The premise was simple, and could in fact not have worked, but it did. Gary Blauman (SNL‘s Taran Killam, aka Cobie Smulders’ real-life husband), a colleague of Marshall and Barney from GNB times, shows up at the wedding and Robin has never received his confirmation card, which means that the guy does not have a seat! So, the bride declares a “Code Red!” and Marshall decides he will take care of business.
So the gang reminisces about why they love or hate Blauman and whether or not he should stay… Ted hates the guy because he believes he tried to steal a girl from him; Lily loves him because he only let her get half of a butterfly tattoo when she and Marshall were broken up; William Zabka loves him because he recognized from his poetry; James hates him because he was the guy he cheated on Tom with (yeah Ted, he wasn’t after the girl after all!); and Barney hates him because he stole his accidental curly fry… So Barney tells him to go packing, but Marshall show them all that people are important and that he should be present for the big day.
Right them, future Ted tells his kids… “That’s how it goes, kids. The friends, neighbours, drinking buddies, and partners in crime you love so much when you’re young… As the years go by, you just lose thouch. That being said, I did manage to keep track of a few people.“
“You’ll be shocked kids when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That’s why when you find someone you want to keep around… you do something about it.”
This story is told by Ted, not only to his kids, but also to the Mother, while on their first date. Ted was nervous, she thought she wasn’t ready to begin to date just yet. given that she had broken up with her boyfriend just 4 days before, but he walks her home, tells her the story and she kisses him!
Just a few notes…
- I actually liked that Ted and the Mother’s first date was nothing much and that it did not go according to plan. It’s cute to see Ted, after 9 years, still look like a young boy in search of true love.
- What a shame that Robin only has one scene in this episode! Although the one scene she has is amazing: that’s her husband people! “Dammit Patrice, I’m not finished!“
- Great to see Jeanette (Abby Elliott), Kevin (Kal Penn), Zoey (Jennifer Morrison); Scooter (David Burtka), Stripper Lily, The Blitz (Jorge Garcia), Sandy Rivers (Alexis Denisof) and Blah Blah a.k.a. Carol (Abigail Spencer) back!
- How they manage to keep that array of guest stars a secret is beyond me, also, how amazing was that sequence scene?!
- In this episode we had Cobie’s husband, Alyson’s husband and Neil’s fiancé, all in one episode!