>>> Nº41 of My 2015 Reading Challenge – A book by an author you’ve never read before <<<
“Three years ago Bella Castle left her home town nursing a broken heart over Dominic Thane, the man she fell in love with but couldn’t have …
Now she’s made a new life for herself in the country, working as an estate agent.
Bella loves her job and she loves her boyfriend Nevil. But recently he’s been preoccupied, and she’s starting to question if his future hopes and dreams are a perfect match for hers.
And when Dominic turns up unexpectedly in search of his dream house, she begins to wonder if home is really where the heart is. But she’s over him, isn’t she?” – Amazon
The story follows Bella, she’s a real estate agent and she absolutely loves her job, thinking that it’s her purpose in life to match the right people with the right home. She moved to a small town in order to mend a broken heart and now lives with her Godmother, Alice, the other central character of this book. Alice is young and modern and finds herself in a relationship, for the first time in so many years, with a slightly younger man.
When Dominic, Bella’s old crush, turns up to live on her new town, her feelings return (in fact they were never gone), at the same time that her boyfriend (also her boss) basically announced that they are engaged – yes, he announces that to her, and no, he doesn’t ask.
So in the midst of getting the right people and house together, she has to figure out her feelings for both men…
Here’s the thing, it was quite a good read, but it has a few problems (and there will be spoilers):
- The premise of the book is that she loves her boyfriend Neville, says so up there… truth is that she never did…
- Who is the person who ups and runs from her own town because her office CRUSH announces that his wife is pregnant?! Given that nothing ever happened between them, just a misunderstanding kiss beneath the mistletoe.
- When Dominic turns up there, he’s clearly angry with Bella, by the end he tells her that he thought that she helped his wife when she was cheating on him. Still, he also tells her that after 3 years, he went there to be close to her. So, what is it Dom?! Were you cools with it enough that you wanted to be really closed to Bella?! Or were you so angry that you barely spoke to her the first time you saw her?!
- .. oh my, why would she be OK with her boyfriend calling her fat and basically telling her that she needs to count the calories to get into the wedding dress that she didn’t know she needed?! I know she goes along with it because she wants to find out what’s up with his shady business and doesn’t want to lose her job, but still!
- Then, after they kiss one night – while she’s still engaged, mind you – she goes to talk with his ex-wife to help with the kid’s custody… ate least she then admits that this was wrong of her to do.
- I love Alice and Michael, but wasn’t that moving away kind of fast?! And was it just me, or should she have had the opportunity to bond with Michael’s other daughter as well?
- Back to Bella and Dom, they kissed once, he proclaims to be her boyfriend after not talking for a couple of weeks, then they finally pour their hearts out and point black he tells her that they’re going to a hotel?! Wow… talk about game! Then, on the next day of the first time they hooked up, Alice assumes that they are moving in together, which they are… Everything moves way too fast in this book… a little later he’s already picking an engagement ring. Like, seriously man?! You haven’t seen each other for 3 years, most of which you thought very ill of her… wow!!!
Rating: 3 Stars
6 thoughts on “The Perfect Match (Katie Fforde)”