Welcome back for the 30th day of The Harry Potter 30 Days Challenge! As you know by now, Leannaatc @Short Story Long had this idea of a month full of Harry Potter and you can find the prompt for each day here here. This is it people, it’s the END!
– Day 30: What affect has Harry Potter made on your life? How much does it mean to you? –
I can say that Harry Potter means a lot to me. It came into my life at a critical point in it: the year of writing my Master thesis. Sure, I had heard of Harry Potter before (who hadn’t), I’d watched most of the movies that were out by then, but I had no interest in reading them – reading was not a thing I did a lot back then.
But then I fell in love with reading because of Twilight (yes, you read that right!), and one day I decided that I wanted to read all the Harry Potter’s as well. So I went into FNAC and bought all 7 books, the first one in portuguese (they didn’t have it english for some reason) and all the other 6 in English (my lovelies pocket signature edition). I didn’t really start reading right away, I wanted the Sorcerer’s Stone in English so bad!!! Luckily I found it on the same week and started to journey through all the books.
Then a funny thing happened, talking about the books allowed me to reconnect with an old friend, and we ended up reading the last 4 books “together” – by together I mean: each at our own houses, exchanging text messages about the book – no whatsapp then either. It was a blast, and we managed, albeit for a short time, avoid a lot of things that were and always will be, wrong with our friendship, and we enjoyed each other’s company for a while and it was good.
So for me, Harry Potter will always mean a time of my life that I was a bit lost and I found an old friend again. By the way, I’ll always love this friend of mine, she’ll always have a special place in my heart, but it’s just the kind of friendship that is so toxic, that staying away is for the best.
After that, Harry Potter meant being part of the fandom in some small way, and that is an amazing feeling!
I ended up giving my portuguese Harry Potter e a Pedra Filosofal to my nephew, in the hopes that he would start reading – because me and him like to share nerdy things, it’s “our thing” – but the kid is not that much into books… he likes his phone and likes to make videos, and he’s actually quite good at it and I’m kind of hoping that he’ll want to pursuit it when time comes.
Last Christmas I made another attempt to influence another nephew… this time my oldest niece, who was 11 at the time – perfect age, right? So I bought her the 2 first books in the new 15 year anniversary edition – they’re so gorgeous! This kid told me “yes, I’ll read it in the summer!” – I’m sure she hasn’t, but hey, I tried! I even bought them all wands when I went to The Harry Potter Studio Tour (and those things are bloody expensive!).
(I kind of wanted to buy all this collection for myself because I’m in love with the covers, but my mom started making fun of me on the shop… “aren’t those books for kids? You’re 30!”)
And this is it! The end of the The Harry Potter 30 Days Challenge! Wow, it has been a crazy month, now I want to curl up and watch all the movies, re-read all the books (it won’t happen anytime soon) and relax. 🙂
– Day 1: Favorite Book? –
– Day 2: Favorite Movie? –
– Day 3: Is there anything in the film adaptations that annoyed you? –
– Day 4: Who’s your least favourite female character and why? –
– Day 5: Who is your favourite male character and why? –
– Day 6: Which house would you want to be in? –
– Day 7: Who’s your favourite female character and why? –
– Day 8: What’s your favourite lesson from the series? –
– Day 9: Who’s your least favourite male character and why? –
– Day 10: Horcruxes or Hallows? –
– Day 11: Which character would you say you are most like? –
– Day 12: Favourite ship? –
– Day 13: Least favourite movie? –
– Day 14: Team Voldemort or Team Harry? –
– Day 15: Pick three characters to be your best friends at Hogwarts? –
– Day 16: Expecto Patronum! What form does your Patronus take and why? –
– Day 17: Favourite Harry Potter Fan adaptation? –
– Day 18: Least favourite book? –
– Day 19: Do you prefer the books or films? –
– Day 20: If you got to meet one member of the cast, who would it be? –
– Day 21: Pick one character to bring back from the dead –
– Day 22: Would you rather read only Harry Potter for the rest of your life, or never know it existed? –
– Day 23: Which scene (book or movie) made you cry the hardest –
– Day 24: Which scene did wish was filmed, but wasn’t –
– Day 25: Nineteen years later. Are you happy how it turned out, or do you wish something was different? –
– Day 26: If you could be able to work one spell without a wand what would it be? –
– Day 27: If you had to take a PIECE of your soul and place it in an inanimate object, which do you choose? –
– Day 28: Do you listen to Wizard Wrock? What do you think about it? –
– Day 29: Did you enjoy A Very Potter Musical? –